Thursday, March 5, 2009

Feb. 21-23, My Birthday and the Weekend Before

The weekend before my birthday our friend John from Iowa State came to visit us. He is currently studying abroad in Limerick, Ireland. He came on Saturday Feb. 21 and stayed until Monday Feb. 23. On Saturday we had lunch with John at Tony's Bistro. If that name doesn't sound familiar to you go back a few posts and you should see some information about it. After that we met some of our friends at the bus station and went to the Jameson whiskey distillery in Midleton. I didn't take any pictures, but it was pretty cool to learn more about how they make their whiskey. We picked up food from Lennox's for dinner which is an awesome fish and chips place right by our house. That night we all went out to An Brog to show John our favorite pub. On Sunday we slept in late and then I showed John the school we go to and we walked around town for a little bit. Mike met up with us and we ate lunch at Abrakebabra, the Irish fast food place. We stopped at An Spailpin Fanach because John wanted to check it out and try a pint of Beamish. The Spailpin is right across from the Beamish factory, so naturally it was the place to go for John to try some. When we got back to the house we all took naps and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. John and I went to the store and picked up some ice cream and toppings for sundaes which we had later. We had my pre-birthday dinner at McDonald's because ... well I'm not actually sure why, but I picked McDonald's. After that we tried to go out to some different pubs but it was Sunday so the pubs were pretty lifeless. We came back to the house just in time and ate the sundaes as the clock hit midnight.

My glorious sundae Mike, enjoying his sundaeJohn, thinking about how perfect his sundae is

The next morning I went to Sam and Dan's which is a coffee and donuts place, but also has hot dogs for lunch and dinner. John and I each had a donut and a coffee and then we walked to the bus station and John was on his way back to Limerick. After that I went to class and then had some Subway for lunch. I also got my haircut which you will notice in some of the pictures later. I hung out in the house for the afternoon and talked to Amber on skype and opened up her present and also cards from my parents, my grandparents, and Amber's family. For dinner Mike and I went to Captain America's and I had a very large portion of buffalo wings which was awesome. Here are before and after pictures of the buffalo wings that I absolutely destroyed.


After that Mike and I met up with our friends Kaylee, Ali, and Alex. We went to a pub we'd never been before called the Old Oak. It was really big, but it was very empty. Here is a picture of all five of us.

After that we headed to the one and only An Brog. It was a lot less packed on a Monday night, but I enjoyed having space to move around. While we were there my friends decided to give me a nice little gift, a Twix bar and some Cadbury Mini Rolls.

I'll leave you with this picture of Mike and I rockin' out at An Brog

2 comments:

  1. Hi Trevor,
    I'll try again to post a comment. I've had trouble getting them to post lately. I think we'll make you the official sundae maker from now on. Your birthday sundaes look delicious. But more than that, I loved the before and after pictures of the wings. It kind of looks like they multiplied!
    I'm glad you had friends to spend your birthday with and that you're continuing your explorations.
    Nice haircut too.
    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trev,

    I love the photos but I wanted to ask if John is enjoying a fine Irish Whiskey with his sundae or is that apple juice?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete