Thursday, January 22, 2009

Farmgate Cafe and An Spailpin Fanac

On Monday, Mike and I ventured over to the English Market for lunch. The Market sells all kinds of things from meats to vegetables to spices and almost anything else you could want. They have a small cafe on the second floor called the Farmgate Cafe. They use food and ingredients from the Market to make their menu items. Mike and I both had the Shepherd's Pie which had some meat and potatoes and I'm not sure what else inside. It had some carrots and potatoes on the side as well. Here's a picture of it:

A view of part of the English Market from above


On Monday night we decided to go check out a pub called An Spailpin Fanac. The Traditional Music Society from our school plays there on Mondays so we thought we'd check it out. Below is a picture of some of the musicians.

We ran into some people from Iowa State there as well as a couple Irish guys that we knew. As it turns out even the Irish guys had never really been to this place. The music was alright, but I think it would have been better with some sense of order. It was just kind of a jam session for the whole time. While a jam session could be cool in a sense, a jam session with fiddles and flutes and stuff is pretty weak. We stayed and listened for a bit, but eventually the Irish guys left and went to An Brog. We waited for a few minutes and then decided to leave as well. We got a table at An Brog and then just hung out there for the rest of the night. I was hoping that we'd get a chance to see some other live music this week, but we will have to wait til another day. We are planning on going somewhere tonight, but we haven't made any decisions yet. Also, I hope that the Gophers can win tonight. I probably won't be able to watch, but I will definitely check the score and stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Trev,
    The Shepherd's Pie looks great. That's neat that they use food from the market. Guaranteed to be fresh. Was the market outdoors? I couldn't tell from the pictures. Is it far from your house? It looks like someplace I would like to go. Maybe Debbie needs to go there to do research for her farmer's market. We will watch the Gopher's tonight. The slingbox isn't set up again after our internet switch so don't bother trying that. We look forward to hearing about your next adventure.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Trev,

    A jam session with fiddles and flutes...perhaps you need several pints to fully appreciate that. I'm glad you are getting to see a lot of the music and food varieties in Cork. I love the pictures!
    You know I will be watching the hoops game tonight...I'm trying not to get too excited in case they dissapoint me. All of the Minnesota teams seem to end up that way.
    Thanks for the post and I look forward to the next adventure.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all inside, but certain areas like the one in the picture give it the feel of being outside. It's not too far from the house. It's in the city centre.

    ReplyDelete